1,000 Books Before Kindergarten
How It Works
- Register at the Children’s Department for your reading log.
- Colora circle for every book read together.
- When you reach 100 books, bring in your log for your first prize – a reading rubber ducky (or choose from available prizes!)
- Pick up a new reading log, and for every 100 books after, your child picks their choice of reading rubber duckies (or available prizes).
- When you reach 500 books you receive a book browsing bag – you’re halfway there!
- 1,000 books earns your child a free book of their choosing and a reading certificate.
Does reading the same book over and over count?
YES! Children love (and learn through) repetition. If you read the same book 3 times, color in 3 circles.
What books can I read?
Any books you want to read. You can read books from home, the library, anything! Books that your child listens to in storytimes at the library also count. We’re also here to help you find books that you and your child will enjoy.
FUN FACT: Reading just 3 books a night, you could reach 1,095 books in 1 year! The only goal though is to reach 1,000 books before kindergarten starts, so take your time reading with your child and enjoy
Visit the library and sign up today, or search for the 1,000 Books app on your app store. Just show us your progress on either our log or the app to collect your reading rewards.
- This challenge is for K-6th graders
- Visit the Children’s Department to sign-up and get your official Reading Passport
- Read 5 books a page, for a total of 35 books
- You can read ANY books you want
- Visit the Children’s Department after each continent page is finished to get your stamp, bookmark, and prize
- There is no deadline for your passport; the only goal is to fill in your passport
- When you’ve finished your whole passport, you will get a free book, Reading Champion tote bag, and reading certificate