The Middletown Public Library will begin to resume limited in-Library services during phase II beginning on Monday, June 1st. Important information for you to know about our re-opening process:
Middletown Public Library
June 1, 2020 Phase II
- Public access to the library building is by appointment: use the same procedure as requesting curbside loans; call 401 846 1573; email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Public access hours are Monday and Wednesday 4pm-7pm; Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday 11am-2pm.
- Revised Reopening RI Guidelines for Libraries posted 5/29/2020 by the RI Office of Library and Information Services:
- Capacity is 150sq.ft./person including staff; this translates to no more than 4 persons using the public computers and no more than 4 persons entering for circulation transactions.
- Face coverings and health screening are required for entry; employees are self screened, members of the public are verbally screened. Entry is not permitted for any one “Yes” response per RIDOH.
- All browsing of new books will be in a controlled space.
- Staff assisted circulation and self check out are both available.
- Access to technology, i.e. computers, copiers, printers, is restricted to 1 hour per appointment.
- In person reference assistance is by appointment.
- Physical access to the children’s department, all book stacks, and a/v is not available but staff will page materials upon request.
- Currently there is no seating for quiet study, research, reading, or meetings.
- All current library services via phone, email, and website will continue.
Important Information for you to know about ongoing Library Services:
- Due Dates – All due dates on current loans have been extended to July 1.
- Fines – Libraries have agreed to waive fines from March 1 through the end of this public health crisis.
- Holds – Ocean State Libraries has disabled the ability for patrons to place holds from the catalog so that we don’t create false expectations for when holds may be able to be picked-up. Holds that are currently on our shelves waiting to be picked-up will be available for up to one week after re-opening.
Library Cards – We have extended the expiration dates for all patrons set to expire between March 1 and April 30 to August 1st.
- Donations – DO NOT drop donations into our return bins. DO NOT leave donations outside the library. We cannot safely handle donations at this time.
- Digital Content – The investment on ebooks and audiobooks in OSl’s eZone will be expanded so that patrons can continue to enjoy books and reading.
- Printing Needs – Wireless printing available through PrinterOn. Contact the Library at 401-846-1573 ext. 4 to request a release of your prints and to schedule a pickup. Leave a voicemail and all calls will be returned in a timely manner. Need help? We will do our best to walk you through this process remotely.
Ocean State Libraries is also working in partnership with the Rhode Island Office of Library & Information Services. They are developing a collection of online resources for students and families to help all Rhode Islanders meet their learning and recreational needs from home. https://olis-ri.libguides.com/online
Please visit the Ocean State Libraries website for information on COVID-19 and its impact on the Rhode Island Public Library system.
Please check the FAQs for information about expired library cards, due dates, fines, and more. This page will be updated regularly.