2020 Summer Reading Prizes for Children
Read 20 minutes a day and you’ll have read 10 hours in 30 days! The Summer Reading Challenge runs for 82 days – that’s over 27 hours of reading. You only need 10 hours to be entered for the Grand Prize Drawing!
Summer Reading Basics
- Children can earn tickets by completing activities, logging minutes read, and writing book reviews! These tickets are used in our virtual drawings.
- There are weekly reading raffles running for 10 weeks, with the first drawing taking place on June 19th.
- There is a bonus early bird registration drawing for people who register by June 12th. Children are automatically entered into this drawing based on registration date.
- The same automatic entry also applies to the grand prize drawings based on completing 10 hours read.
- All age groups for the SRC require 10 hours read for completion. Activities and book reviews do not count towards the completion badge, but will give you bonus tickets for the weekly drawings.
- Monday, June 1st – Friday, August 21st
- Minutes for the SRC (Summer Reading Challenge) only count from these dates. Anything before or after does not count.
- 1 hour read = 1 ticket earned
- 1 activity badge (multiple activities per badge) = 2 tickets earned
- 1 book review = 1 ticket earned
- Registration badge = 1 ticket earned
- Completion badge (10 hours reading logged) = 1 ticket earned and automatic entry for Grand Prize drawing
- Tickets are used in virtual drawings for gift cards. Select which drawings to put your tickets in! More hours read and activities completed = more tickets to enter into the drawings.
- Infants and Toddlers to Preschool (no SRC available – please register for the 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten Challenge)
- Kids/Tween Challenge – Kindergarten – Grade 5 (can be entering K- entering 5)
- Teen Challenge – Grades 6 – 12 (entering 6 through 12)
- Early bird registration drawing for people who register by 6/12/20. They are automatically entered in this based on receiving the “registration” badge by the date specified. Win a $20 gift card to Island Books!
- We are offering weekly reading raffles for our Summer Reading Challenge. Raffles run from 6/19 – 8/21. Children must choose which drawings to put their tickets in for these drawings. Win gift cards to Island Books, Barnes & Noble, Newport Creamery, Flat Waves, Carmella’s Pizzeria, and more!
- There are 2 grand prize drawings for Children/Tweens (K-2 and 3-5). Children are automatically entered into these drawings based on earning the “completion” badge. Must log 10 hours read to earn the completion badge! Grand prizes are Kids Kindle Fires with one year of Amazon FreeTime.
- At 5 hours read, children will earn a library tote bag and a free book! We will post instructions on our website on how to claim this prize.
Activity Tracks/Badges earn extra tickets for drawings! They are not required for completion of the summer reading challenge, only the reading badges are required. They are meant as a fun way to add activities to your summer and earn bonus raffle tickets!
- When a child earns a ticket for every hour read, they can put that ticket in the prize drawing of their choice through the Beanstack App or the Beanstack Browser on a computer.
- Patrons must use the App or Web Browser to put their earned tickets into the drawing of their choice.
- Tickets are not available in paper form – only in digital form.
The statewide Rhode Island Summer Reading Program is supported by the RI Office of Library and Information Services, with funds from the Institute of Museum and Library Services. Funding is also generously made possible by the Friends of the Middletown Public Library.